Using en_GB.UTF-8 and strftime problems

view story

http://www.linuxquestions.org – I came across a strange thing today. I've been using en_GB.UTF-8 for quite a while and all was well until I wanted to add an AM/PM indicator in a vim function. This is defined as %p or %P in strftime. When I tried that it printed nothing. I tested with the date command with the same result. In #vim on freenode someone suggested using en_UK.UTF-8, which works, but I've been reading up and apparently en_UK is an invalid locale specifier and it should be en_GB. Output from locale with en_UK.UTF-8: Code: locale: Cannot set LC_CTYPE to default locale: No such file or directory locale: Cannot s (HowTos)