12.04LTS. HP K80 printer. device shows up both in lsusb and in the "discovered devices" in the HP Device Manager. I ran the device manager under gksudo, same results. The GUI app sees the device ("1 device found") but then its tells me "unable to communicate with the device.
I'm using osx as a host and running windows 7 virtually. I originally had version 4.1.6 and when I plugged in usb devices it did not show up in the device manager, however it would prompt me that the drivers could not be installed. I now installed 4.1.8 with the oracle extension and got a better result.
I know this has been answered, but I am frustrated. I will not go into the saga of my series of system issues. The result is I have had to go backwards - not sure which version/install of Ubuntu I am using now.
History: I had the drivers installed in Kubuntu, I had to reinstall them often, but it worked. So I know the drivers work. But as usual Kubuntu doesn't.