When I try to access my ubuntus 13.10 terminal I get bash: /usr/bin/dircolors: Argument list too long. And I can't figure out what the problem means. I can't use of sudo su everything hangs
on 10/20/2013 – Made popular on 10/20/2013
I get the following error when trying to ls *.txt | wc -l a directory that contains many files:
-bash: /bin/ls: Argument list too long
Does the threshold of this "Argument list" dependent on distro or computer's spec? Usually, I'd pipe the result of such big result to some other commands (wc -l for example), so I'm not concerned with limits of the terminal.
I'm new to linux and the terminal. As I learn how to use the terminal to navigate through directories, I like to use the gui file explorer to mirror my terminal navigation. The icons and file extension info in the gui file explorer help me figure out what everything is. However, I can't access the root folder via the gui, I can only access it via the terminal.
I want to install Ubuntu Desktop 12.0.4 on a dead iMac. The iMac has no OS installed into it. The only access I have is through an uncompatible OS X Snow Leopard DVD. This gives me access to Disk Utility and terminal (although the terminal will not recognise the sudo command).
I would like create a USB installer (not cd at all costs, as I have no access to CDS at this time).
Hi, I am running F19 beta with the cinnamon desktop.
I run a few PCs which I access headlessly and I like to create terminal profile shortcuts to these and drop them into my panel for easy launch. I am having difficulty creating access to a new PC but that is my problem to solve.
So I am 95% sure I mounted the drive(files) that I wanted from a Windows server to ubuntu. I followed the tutorial on http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/22518/how-to-mount-a-remote-folder-in-ubu... and I am given the option to unmount the folder I set up and am calling engineer.
I am trying to push my code onto a git repo on the server.
I recently decided that the terminal color scheme that Ubuntu uses is not optimal. I have edited .dircolors and it worked...for the most part. The issue I am having is I added two custom file extensions to .dircolors which are .R and .cpp.