The VAR Guy remains upbeat about Microsoft’s overall business strategy. But oh… the smartphone market continues to be a really sore point. The Microsoft-Nokia smartphone partnership is losing — rather than gaining — market share, and Nokia is cutting 10,000 employees.
Apparently, the blowback Microsoft (NASDAQ: MSFT) got from Windows 8 RT OEMs for intending to directly compete with them in the tablet market with Surface wasn’t gutsy enough to impress the Redmond juggernaut, which, according to published reports, may be back at it with a Windows Phone 8 smartphone.
In a blog post earlier this week, Windows Phone Central (WPCentral, as referenced here), based on
Android has overtaken Windows Mobile and Linux for fourth place in smartphone OS market share with 9.6 percent, says Gartner. The worldwide study of first quarter smartphone sales showed a 707 per cent year-on-year increase in Android sales in North America, while the total smartphone market saw its largest year-on-year increase since 2006, says the research firm....
According to Net Applications, Windows 8.x crossed the 10% barrier in December of 2013. Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 ended the year with 6.89% and 3.60% apiece for a combined 10.49% total market share.
In the month, Windows 7 picked up 0.88% market share, as Windows XP fell below the 30 percent mark, shedding 2.24% to land at 28.98% in the month.
The dogfight between BlackBerry and Windows Phone in the U.S. has a new leader. Microsoft's smartphone platform now controls more market share than that of the Canadian firm. But there is more to the story. New Comscore data indicates that even while besting BlackBerry at last, Windows Phone's market share in the U.S. isn't budging. Read More
Windows RT and Windows Phone 8 aren't doing well, but Microsoft can still make out with some help from Intel and Windows 8.1 If its great ARM experiment doesn't work out, supporting Microsoft's key applications on Android and iOS won't hurt. This is not your dad's Microsoft.