When trying to export an SVG file with Chinese characters to PNG using Inkscape, the Chinese characters disappear. I use this command in Ubuntu:
inkscape /root/21.svg -e /root/1.png
on 12/23/2012 – Made popular on 12/23/2012
The linked directory in this github repository contains a file chinese.svg that I originally made using inkscape on a linux machine. The drawing contains Chinese characters. If I open it on my current linux machine, the characters are garbled: they appear as a random mixture of Latin characters and punctuation. The correct rendering is shown in the file chinese.pdf in the same directory.
I am having many problems reading Chinese characters not saved in the UTF-8 format. After doing the "file" command, I realized that nearly all of the files that I have problems reading in Ubuntu are ISO-8859 English text, with CRLF, NEL line terminators.