Changing MySQL charset to UTF8 on linux so it will work with JDBC

view story

http://stackoverflow.com – My application can be deployed on Win\Linux, and uses MySQL 5.5, and it may store data in different languages. I changed my MySQL server to have the following charset variables set to UTF8: character_set_client character_set_connection character_set_connection character_set_database character_set_results character_set_server character_set_system To do so, I added the following to my.ini: [mysql] default-character-set=utf8 [mysqld] init_connect='SET collation_connection = utf8_unicode_ci' init_connect='SET NAMES utf8' character-set-server=utf8 collation-server=utf8_unicode_ci s (HowTos)